Traveling to Walt Disney World® during the summer months has gotten a bad rap over the years and I’m not sure why. Summer has become my favorite time to visit the Disney parks and here’s why!
Less Crowded. Yes, you read that right. Because of various articles online warning about staying away from central Florida in the summer, many have done just that…which means the crowds are completely manageable! I’ve found more crowds in early December then I have even during the week of the 4th of July.
Easy Outfits. There can be so much frustration around picking outfits for a trip to Walt Disney World®, and rightfully so. During certain times of the year, the weather can vary greatly. During visits in December, January, and early spring, I’ve had to pack everything from tank tops and shorts to sweatshirts and jeans. Not in the summer! Packing for your summer trip is simple. You want clothing that is light, airy, and moisture-wicking. My go-to’s include tank tops, moisture-wicking shorts or skirts, and sneakers. Less is more here.
Extended Sunlight. From the first cup of coffee in the morning until you’re waiting for the fireworks at night, it’s daylight. It’s almost as if Mother Nature and Disney have worked together to ensure that just as you’re finding the perfect fireworks spot, the sun sets and the show begins. I channel my inner Anna (from Frozen) with “The sky’s awake, so I’m awake” on those early rope-drop mornings. Getting up early to enjoy the day is much easier when it’s already daylight.
The Pools. There’s just something extremely satisfying and relaxing about taking a dip into one of the incredibly themed pools located at every Walt Disney World® Hotel on a hot summer day. I especially enjoy swimming early in the morning or late at night after a long day adventuring in the parks.
Speaking of those “hot summer days,” don’t let the temperatures scare you away from visiting Walt Disney World® in the summer. Managing the heat is absolutely possible and more simple than you think! Here’s my top 5 ways to beat the heat:
- Arrive early. Plan to arrive at the parks a little before it’s scheduled to open. Not only will you be able to enjoy more attractions with lower wait times, but you’ll be knocking out some of your must-do’s before the heat hits its peak.
- Stay late. Once the sun goes down, head to the park that’s open the latest and enjoy the ambiance at night while avoiding the harsh sunlight. Evening in the parks are my favorite! Plus, you’ve got to experience the attractions at night! Rides such as Expedition Everest, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, Splash Mountain, Test Track® Presented by Chevrolet®, and The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror™ are a completely different experience in the dark!
- Head back to your resort in the middle of the day. When the heat is hitting its hottest temperatures, go back to your resort to go for a swim or take a nap, especially if you’re planning to follow my first two tips. Typically, I’ll head out around lunchtime and return after a few hours. In that time, I’ll swim, shower, and put my feet up.
- Take time to rest. Even with a break in the middle of the day, you may still need to find somewhere in the parks to sit and rest. If you’re in Magic Kingdom®, try the covered seating by Pete’s Silly Sideshow in Storybook Circus. There you’ll find a wide array of comfy seating options as well as ample outlets to charge your devices! Whip out a small fan and recharge. If you don’t want to sit for a bit, wander through the air conditioned shops or ride an indoor attraction.
- Plan and pack appropriately. It will be hot and it will rain, so be sure to prepare properly. For the high temperatures, I have used and recommend cooling towels, mini-fans, neck fans, wipes (to clean off the sweat), and misting fans. For the likely daily rain shower, pack ponchos, an umbrella, extra shoes and socks, and a good attitude and you will be fine! Be willing to embrace it. The rain feels great in the summer and tends to drive people out – so you get more of the park to yourself! The hot temps are also the perfect excuse to enjoy plenty of ice cream!
With these tips, a positive attitude, and a great plan (courtesy of your fabulous Key to the World Travel® Agent), you’ll thoroughly enjoy your magical vacation to Walt Disney World® in the summer and love it like I do!
Travel PlannerKimberly is a travel planner with Key to the World Travel. Contact her today using the links below to plan your next vacation!