When you plan a trip to Walt Disney World®, one of the decisions that you have to make is whether or not to get the dining plan. Purchasing the dining plan is a great and convenient way to eat around Walt Disney World®. There are three different options when selecting a dining plan: The Quick-Service Dining Plan, the Disney Dining Plan, and the Deluxe Dining Plan. All three of these include 2 snack credits per person (over the age of 3), per night of your stay.
The question I often get is “What counts as a snack credit?” My short answer is – so many things! However, I like to think about what is the best USE of a snack credit. If you choose to do so, you are able to use a snack credit to get a bottle of water, a piece of fruit, etc. but why not “get the biggest bang for your buck” and enjoy all the amazing snack options that are available? Here are some of my favorites!
- French Fries with Pulled Pork and Cheese – these are available at Flame Tree Barbeque at Disney’s Animal Kingdom® Park. It is one of my favorites and could easily be shared or serve as a quick lunch.
- Ice Cream Cookie Sandwich – I like to get this at the Plaza Ice Cream Parlor in the Magic Kingdom®. My kids prefer the HUGE Brownie Sundaes. Both options are HUGE, and you can choose the flavors of ice cream you would like. I like to find a spot to watch the parade and then grab these as a snack. This has become a tradition for my family and a good way to pass time with little ones while waiting.
- Dole Whip® – a Dole Whip® of any sort is one of my favorite things to get at Walt Disney World® but the Dole Whip® Float is a must every single time! The classic Dole Whip® is a pineapple soft serve but currently, there are other flavors available as well throughout the Magic Kingdom® including the Lost Princess Cone, which includes lemon Dole Whip® or the Hei Hei Cone with pineapple and raspberry Dole Whip®. Then, there is the Adventure Is Out There Cone, which features Mango Dole Whip®.
- Mickey Rice Krispie Treats – My favorite place to get this is in Epcot® at Karamell-Kuche. It is dipped in chocolate and drizzled with caramel. There are several variations of this particular snack. Also, there are many different snack options at Karamell-Kuche, all of which are very good!
- Cupcakes – there are so many options all around Walt Disney World®! Many are themed for different characters (e.g. Olaf, Kylo Ren, etc.) and there are often special cupcakes at the different events throughout the year (e.g. Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party). I personally have not had one that I did not like.
Keep in mind that this is not a comprehensive list by any means! When looking for snacks around Walt Disney World®, just look for the icon indicating that it is part of the Disney Dining Plan and qualifies as a snack. As a general rule, I think the best use of a snack credit is an item that is priced $5 or more.
Some other things to consider:
- You can use snack credits to have a meal. One of my family’s favorite things to do is arrive at the Magic Kingdom® first thing in the morning. We stop at Main Street Bakery and get breakfast and then head to the seating area near the Plaza Restaurant. The breakfast usually consists of muffins, cinnamon rolls or some other kind of pastry and another of my favorite snack credits – a venti drink from Starbucks®! There are several Starbucks® locations, including one in each park. You are able to use a snack credit on any size drink you would like, including a Venti (large).
- If you have snack credits left, you can take some with you for the trip home! Many locations have snack options that can easily be taken to go. My family’s favorite? We all love any of the candy options from Goofy’s Candy Company, especially the character gummies! If you have some snack credits left, stop on your way out and use them up!
- If you are a fan of Starbucks®, there are locations in each of the Walt Disney World® theme parks. The best part? If you are using the Disney Dining Plan, you can choose any drink you would like, in any size you would like, using a snack credit! I will take a venti, please!
- If you are interested in purchasing a refillable popcorn bucket, you could do so and then use your snack credits for refills throughout your vacation.
- As a general rule of thumb, most sides that you would get at a quick service restaurant are considered snack credits.
- If you are heading to one of the festivals at Epcot®, many of the food booths offer options that count as a snack credit. There are many different options to choose from since there are often booths throughout the park, especially in the World Showcase. Keep an eye out for foods released exclusively at special events throughout the year such as Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party or Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party.
So, yes, you can certainly get some bottled water or a piece of fruit as a snack. However, with so many choices, you are not limited to what you may consider “typical” snack items. Enjoy those snack credits as much as you can and use them to add more magic to your vacation, or at least to your taste buds!
All Key to the World Travel® Advisors are experts and offer the highest level of exemplary customer service. Contact your travel planner to book your vacation, or click here to request a quote today!
Contact Kelly today, using the links below!